Tuesday, June 17, 2008

oh boy...i've been putting this off for too long..



Since the beginning of this blog, my brother Russell has "begged" me to tribute a post to him. Of course I was already planning this post for later in life...when I had nothing to post but should post, when he is leaving, or possibly when i'm liking him a little extra one day..Well blog, today is the day.

Why is this so difficult for me you ask? Well reader, I challenge you to post about your best friend in the whole world that you've had your whole life.
Someone you had chicken pox with.
Someone that would "help you with homework" and print off two copies.

Someone you got in trouble with, but would take the blame.
Someone you've played with every single day.

Someone that is very similar and very close to you.
Someone that when people hear your name the first thing they ask "oh you're Russell's twin?"

Someone you didn't mind being called "Russell's sister" rather than your own name.

Someone who you have very rarely fought with, and when/if you would-you would laugh about it minutes later.

Someone you can always talk to- about anything.

Someone who knows when you're upset and tries to cheer you up.

Someone who you are protective of...especially when it comes to girls.
Someone who pretends to threaten any boy that comes near you.

Someone who would "stay up" and watch a chick flick with you.

Someone you secretly try to compete with but usually lose.

Someone who doesnt make you feel like you always lose.

Someone who has been with you every step of your life.

Someone you are proud of.

Someone you have always looked up to.

Someone you call Superman because he is literally your hero.

Someone who you miss after only 2 days of not being with them.
And someone who will soon be leaving you for 2 years.
ouch.

Well shoot blog, this is tough... My twin brother just got his mission call. Are you kidding me? I have been mentally and emotionally preparing for this..well sort of. Whenever people bring it up I usually say "No words" and change the subject. It is too hard to think about still. My siblings would always talk about how they will miss him, but can't imagine how much i'm going to. How true that is. I've had 3 siblings go on missions, sent my best friend and some other people out on missions this year..this one is going to be hard for Lindsay.



So his mission call..Before he opened it I couldn't eat, I could hardly breathe, I actually had to go sit down. I cried of course.. and let me tell you reader-I don't cry that much. I work very hard to not show that to the world. Well, Hamberg Germany is taking my brother from me for 2 years. Lucky. I'm so proud of him. He is going to be an incredible missionary. He is so good with people, is so so smart, is a leader, and has a strong testimony. Don't get me wrong, I am so excited for him and I want him to go. I'm just going to miss him. I've got a serious love-hate relationship with missions. Good thing I still have a little time left to prepare myself.

13 comments:

emily mcd said...

Blogger goodness indeed. I'm so lucky to be your sister. Love you two.

kto1s said...

Darn it--you were right. You ARE making me cry! Same things can all be said about YOU too! Love you both

Laurie Marsh said...

Oh Lindsay! You and Russ are just miracles. I am so blessed to be your aunt and neighbor. Thanks for sharing the amazing post. Love you!

Brynn said...

Hey, you have a blog o' goodness!! You guys are the bomb. I also can't even imagine...you guys make me happy just lookin' at ya! :) And you made me cry too..I'm blaming it on being pregnant, but, actually, you are just a really great writer and I am just proud to be your cousin!

Sibber said...

Dang it! Where is that box of tissue! We are so proud of both of you! You two are quite a pair! We love you both!

Collie and Zach said...

can't even imagine....hard enough sending my own bro off and we are not twins. therefore we don't have that same connection as you two! Still too hard to imagine! It will go fast though! :)

Ellen Irion said...

You finally did it, i love it. Well deserved for that super human brother of yours. super human, i heard it runs in his family, somethin about a sister . . . hmm not sure

Kelly Jean said...

Oh, I hear ya 100%. That's exactly how I felt with my brother(s) leaving on their missions; especially my brother Ryan (who's LIKE a twin... we tell people we're twins :)) ... It's definitely a love-hate relationship with the mission. I remember wanting him to be home from his mission like 3 months before he even got his call. It's tough. Good thing you get to go to college & start an adventure too, it helps a little :) Keep smiling, God will give you the strength to make it through!

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

Well shoot! Here comes those Nelson Genes! Don't worry, you may not cry much now, but it will come...it will come! You guys are the cutest EVER, and you make me want to have a twin brother more than anything in the world!

Christie Beck said...

What a great post! Seriously, I loved it. I'm so glad to be friends with both of you. Russ will be so great. I'll start preparing the magic bullet now for many a milkshake come september. Thank heaven for comfort food. ;) Love ya

Rob Nelson said...

hey, we don't talk all that much really.. but i wanted to drop a line and tell you that you and russ are seriously two of the coolest kids i know. This entry is perfect evidence of that. Keep doing whatever it is you do, someone is always watching! and you're a great example to everyone.

abbey* said...

Awww. I read this post forever ago. But I love it. Wanted to say I love you. Miss you lots and lots.

vallarsen49 said...

That's so awesome. You really will miss him. I'm so happy that you're so close. SO many people don't have that kind of love in their lives. We're so blessed to have amazing siblings!! Good luck with the farewell :S :). LOVE YA!!!