Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Favorite Aunt Awards

I have a lot of people to thank for this award... obviously my sisters and brother who made it possible for me to be an aunt. All the times they have come over or we got together so I could play with the kids. All of the activities and things we have done together that I was included in. And of couse I'd like to thank my little nieces and nephews for making me, Lindsay, their favorite aunt. (sorry sisters ;) )

I'll have you know that it hasn't been easy. I've been wrestled with, trapped, changed dirty diapers, put kids in time out, punched/slapped hard enough to get a bloody nose, got hit in the face so hard while dancing that my tooth stabbed through my lip (I didn't realize at first because my niece was crying and I kissed her head better-then realized the blood was from me). I've been bit, stuck at the Nintendo for days, my things taken from my room, homework colored on, had a blow out all over me, thrown up on, peed on, my phone drooled on so it stops working, have had the "booger badge" on my shoulder, and much much more.

"Favorite Aunt Award" you ask? Seems like i'm bitter, yes...but that's not the case. This is a small list of things that make me love them more. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. I think these things happen so I recognize that my babies are not perfect (hard for me to believe). They make me grateful for the times I DO have with them, the fact that they want to play with me, the fact that they want to be like me, and the fact that they love their aunt. I'm so grateful to be the favorite aunt of 10 little guys that I love like crazy! Here are a few reasons why it's the best thing in the world- and to show that there is a better list of things than the first one I listed...

When I walk in the room and they yell my name and run to hug me, the first time they say my name, playing nintendo with the boys, when they tell me i'm beautiful and they love me, all of the funny/adorable things they say, when they ask me to play with them-no matter what it is, when they make cards for me- sometimes at random times, when they fall asleep in my arms, when they want to listen to my music and wear my clothes so they can be like me, when I walk in the room and they share all of their toys, when they want me to read to them, when they prefer me over someone else, when they cry when I leave the room, when they ask their parents if I can 'babysitter' them, when they make me crafts, when they want to sit by me, when they have 'cuddle time' with me, when they have sleepovers with me and steal the whole bed, when they give me hugs and kisses, when they hold my hand, when we 'fight' to see who loves who more, when they are my constant shadow, just to name a few..
Maybe my Favorite Aunt Awards are from BOTH my lists. The medals/badges I get are cereal necklaces, bruises, kisses, bloody noses, pictures they draw of me and the kids, pee-blow outs- throw up, sea shells or rocks they collect and share, boogers on my shoulder. I'm grateful for it all because being an aunt is the best thing in the world!






Thanks kiddos. I love you most. :)

6 comments:

emily mcd said...

Holy flippity-doos! Those pictures are hilarious! I am glad you thought to document the pee incident that occurred yesterday. That was a goodin'. You totally are the best aunt in the world and none of us would dare to say otherwise. :) I, for one, am so glad that my daughter has someone like you to look up to and strive to be like. You are (and always have been) one of my heroes. I love you Lindsay Doodlebugs Princess Ariel Jasmine Irion.

Ryan and Staci said...

Oh so I gues now I am eligible for the favorite aunt award! :) I don't have much competition and frankly, i'm ok with that. But I would rather my nephew not pee on me but if that is what it takes then bring it on!

Liz O. said...

What do you say to THAT one?! Emers is right, we none of us would DARE put ourselves up to that competition, and you deserve the award 100% (to quote your nephew)!!! You are amazing, and my kiddos thrill to see you! They truly are blessed to have you for their aunt. Their hero-worship is of such an incredible example who sees the good and has extra patience when their mom has run out! Love you buckets!

kto1s said...

Dang--you HAVE put up with a lot to win the award, hands down.

And you're the perfect example of what an aunt should be. Take notes people!!

ps SUUUUURE--Ali peed on you. look at that innocent face;)

Collie and Zach said...

yeah for linds! I loved seeing you. easton did too. you are so fun and hopefully you didnt think we were too crazy.

Adam Ruben said...

Lindsay wins! Adam has a Blog! Thanks to you and Ellen for inviting me to this wonderful world!